QUALITY CHRISTIAN EDUCATION

CHRISTIAN VALUES | ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE

ABOUT BAHAMAS ACADEMY

Apply for Enrolment Today


MISSION STATEMENT

Bahamas Academy of Seventh-day Adventists is committed to helping students develop character through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, promoting high standards of excellence and preparing students for service now and for eternity.

VISION STATEMENT

One family under God demonstrating Christian values and academic excellence.

SCHOOL VALUES

Bahamas Academy is committed to:

Christ-centered Learning

Cooperation and Positive Attitudes

Character Development & Witnessing

Aesthetic Appreciation

Academic Excellence

Career and Life Skills

Thinking Skills

Healthful Living

CURRENT OPERATION

Bahamas Academy is a Seventh-day Adventist school operating in Nassau, Bahamas. Founded in 1912, it is owned and operated by the South Bahamas Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, approved by the Bahamas Ministry of Education, and accredited by the Adventist Accrediting Association. Bahamas Academy is governed by the School Board which is chaired by Pastor Paul A. Scavella, president of the South Bahamas Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.

Bahamas Academy has three divisions: The Early Learning Center (Grades K2 - K5), the Elementary Division (Grades 1 - 6), and the Secondary Division (Grades 7 - 12). Currently, the student population is 786 and the staff population is 85. The staff to student ratio is 1: 9.

Bahamas Academy aspires to train the head, heart, and hands of a child. Our goal is to provide a holistic education that will create the best citizens now, but more importantly, prepare students for a place in heaven. We aim daily to achieve this goal. With over 100 years of operation, Bahamas Academy is certainly an educational success story in many ways. Why not make us your school of choice? For information on enrollment, see our
ADMISSIONS PAGE.
Stacks Image 3010

OUR HISTORY

A Humble Beginning

The history of Seventh-day Adventists Education in the Bahamas could be traced to 1912. With professor Coffin as principal and his wife as teacher, the first church school opened in the Odd Fellows building on Meeting Street. The pupils enrolled were children of missionary parents, Elder and Mrs. James Smith. From that small beginning of a two-pupil school, supported by a band of faithful believers in Christian education, the institution grew into separate schools with a total enrollment of eight hundred and forty-eight students and a combined teaching staff of thirty-five.

During the first thirty-five years of its existence, the school was primarily an elementary school. It operated at various locations in New Providence, including the basement of the old Shirley Street Seventh-day Adventist Church.

From this location the school was moved to Hawkins Hill (Mt. Royal Avenue) until 1948, when it was relocated on the Wulff Road site. It was housed in a building designed and built by Elder H. D. Colburn, then president of the Bahamas Mission of Seventh-day Adventists. The school moved from the Wulff Road location in June 2011and reopened for the 2011-2012 school year in September 2011 at its present site #73 Marshall Road.

During the early years, the principalship of the school was held by a number of missionaries from North America and Jamaica. These included the Coffins, one Miss Wright, A. R. Haig, Mr. Salters, the Beddoes, Crawfords, D. B. Reid, Miss Zoe Lawrence, O. P. Jones, W. W. Liske, and Miss Jane Mullings. More History...

The first Bahamian principal was Dr. Hugh A. Roach. He was succeeded by Dr. John Carey, who was succeeded by Dr. Ruth White, who was succeeded by Dr. Cheryl Rolle, Mrs. Lynn Smith, then Anthony Burrows.

In 1983 The Board of Regents of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists granted the Academy initial accreditation. Full accreditation was granted in 1985 for a period of three years.

In September 1985 Mrs. Althea McMillan was appointed principal of the elementary division of the Academy. This appointment marked the separation of the administration of the two schools. It was believed that the a reorganization of the administrative structure of the Academy would enhance the development of both the elementary and secondary schools. In September 1986 Mrs. Mary Brennen, a veteran teacher in the elementary school, assumed a new role of Vice Principal of Bahamas Academy Elementary School. In 1994, Mrs. Estherlean Ash succeeded Dr. A. Millan as principal of the elementary school and in 1997 when Mrs. Brennen retired, Mrs. Hermia Brown was appointed vice principal.

Moreover, in 1991 Dr. Cheryl Rolle, succeeded Dr. Ruth White as principal of Bahamas Academy Secondary School and Mr. Anthony Burrows became the new principal in 2006.

N.B. Any history of Adventist education in The Bahamas would be incomplete without some reference to "Mr. Toote's School" in Andros and Grand Bahama Academy. However, as noted by historian, Jeff Thompson, more research will have to be conducted to ascertain the relevant information on these two schools. Therefore, every effort will be made to include these schools in a revised account of Adventist education in The Bahamas.

ABOUT BAHAMAS ACADEMY

Get To Know Us Better


QUICK CONTACTS
1(242) 676-0500
www.bahamasacademy.org
info@bahamasacademy.org
#73 Marshall Road
ABOUT BAHAMAS ACADEMY
Stacks Image 8043
Bahamas Academy is a Seventh-day Adventist school operating in Nassau, Bahamas. Founded in 1912, it is owned and operated by the South Bahamas Conference… Read More
Stacks Image 3987

© 2011 - 2016 Bahamas Academy of Seventh-day Adventists. All Rights Reserved.

YOU ARE HERE: ABOUT US

Connect With Us